|Dakota County Technical College
Dunwoody College of Technology
Inver Hills Community College
Hennepin Technical College
TestOut PC Pro certification should be recognized by any college with a similar class.
Computer Repair is a prerequisite to Computer Networking.
The content of this course focuses on material required to pass either the CompTIA A+ or TestOut PC Pro exams. These are computer industry-recognized exams. This course mirrors the first course of many colleges in the study of computer systems and networking.
Computer Repair and Certification gives you the knowledge and ability to work with computers and operating systems in order to...
You will learn the parts and components of computer hardware, including:
- Becoming a PC Technician
- System Components: power supply, motherboard, processors, etc.
- Peripheral Devices: USB, display, firewire, etc.
- Storage: drives- ATA, Serial ATA, SCSI, File System, RAID, and SSD
- Networking: hardware, Ethernet, network addressing- IP v4, IP v6, utilities, HomeGroup
- Printing: configuration, management, maintenance
- Mobile Devices: notebook computers, apps, maintaining
| Semester 2:
You will learn about operating systems, specifically user and computer settings:
- Windows System Management: preferences, performance, users and groups, applications, updates
- System Implementation: components, pre/post install considerations
- File Management: locations, managing, NTFS, sharing offline
- Security: best practices, physical, social, BIOS, malware, authentication, encryption, firewalls, proxy
- Troubleshooting: motherboard, storage, video, etc.
- Not have to ask for help while using a computer
- Build or upgrade your own computer and software
- Get a job working with computers
- Become an industry-recognized and certified computer technician
Students are encouraged to start during fall semester, however, they can also start spring semester and complete the course the following fall.
Taking or passing either exam is not a course requirement and does not count negatively toward your grade. You will be offered a chance to take the PC Pro exam during class.
This course requires a desire to understand computers, to work inside computers and to repair them.